IDS eCommerce Returns Management and Processing
Customers return eCommerce orders for all kinds of reasons. Unfortunately, no matter the true reason they’re returning an item, it feels like you’ve lost a customer. It can feel even worse when you consider the cost of the return. You’ve lost a customer and you have to take on the cost of processing the return. But what if you changed how you view e-commerce returns management? Instead of focusing on the negative, think of a customer return as an opportunity to get that customer back by impressing them with how you process the return. Instead of seeing returns as a financial loss, think of them as an investment in improving the customer experience. IDS Fulfillment can help your company on both fronts when we take on the reverse logistics of eCommerce returns management for you.
The Customer Experience and eCommerce Returns Management
The last robust study of online retail returns was conducted by the National Retail Federation (NRF) and Appriss Retail after examining the data for 2021. “The average rate of returns for online purchases was 20.8%—an increase from 18.1%” in 2020 (source).
In many cases, a customer returns an order because the product delivered to them was broken or damaged in some way. In other cases, products are returned because it doesn’t match up to what the customer thought they were getting based on the online product description, whether in terms of fit, design, color(s), and so on. Sometimes the retailer simply shipped the wrong item to the customer. There are also shoppers who order products knowing full well they will return them. This is especially true for clothes. Since the customer can’t try an item on, they may order several different sizes of the same product to make sure one of them will end up fitting them and return the rest. There’s a growing mentality among online shoppers who wish they could “try before they buy” but will settle for returning what they decide they don’t want.
Also, keep in mind that studies of online purchase returns reveal shoppers do check a retailer’s returns policy before placing an order. While estimates of this vary, many believe somewhere in the 65% range of consumers do check to see how easy returns will be when shopping online.
Online retailers vary widely in how customer-friendly or customer-centric they make their returns policies. While it’s up to your company to determine its specific policies, it’s worth remembering e-commerce returns do represent several more touchpoints in the overall customer experience where you have an opportunity to increase customer satisfaction. Whatever your policies are, however, you needn’t let the mechanics of eCommerce returns management be a barrier to customer satisfaction when IDS Fulfillment is your reverse logistics partner.
How a Third-Party Logistics (3PL) and Fulfillment Partner Can Help
Is your company currently doing eCommerce returns management in-house? If so, then you probably utilize an Order Management System (OMS) software application.
The question you must ask yourself is whether the OMS you’ve been using is optimized for returns management. Many OMS apps are simply sub-optimal when it comes to returns processing.
A reputable 3PL partner that has kept up with ever-improving technologies and software can take returns management to a whole new level, providing your customers with real-time visibility and updates throughout the returns process. By automating many of the steps in a return process, significant cost savings can be realized.
Another way a good 3PL partner can help with eCommerce returns management is solid relationships with the carrier partners who will handle the actual transportation of items being returned. If you’re handling returns processing in-house, you may not have the staff or expertise needed to seek out and negotiate with different carriers for the best mix of price and performance. A top-notch 3PL partner will always be working on obtaining the best rates with multiple carriers on your behalf.
Let IDS Fulfillment Help with Your eCommerce Returns Management
Our returns processing center and eCommerce returns management add-on services provide efficient and effective reverse logistics for our fulfillment partners. Just like with our eCommerce fulfillment services, you can rely on our qualified staff every step of the way.
Our reverse logistics management services can help reduce your costs, speed up turnaround times, and provide a better overall customer experience during return processing. IDS is able to make decisions on whether to place the order back in inventory, remove it completely from inventory, or support your efforts to move through other liquidation or disposal channels.
IDS specializes in automated fulfillment services from start to finish. By offering return fulfillment as an add-on service to accompany our other logistics and fulfillment services, we can provide a holistic suite of solutions. We strive to be at the forefront of technology and provide our partners with advanced, reliable systems customized to their needs. Here are the benefits clients experience in working with us:
- Convenience: By partnering with our team you can save time and focus on the continued growth of your company not on the day-to-day complications associated with the returns process.
- Technology: We have built reliable, stable fulfillment paths and use proven processes and the latest technology in robotics and warehouse automation to manage returns and exchanges quickly and efficiently for all of our clients.
- Dedicated Support Staff: You don’t have to train your employees to manage returns or hire new workers. Instead, you can just turn to the experts at IDS Fulfillment. We have a team of experienced returns management professionals who will offer responsive, seamless service.
- Integrated Solutions: We offer a full suite of 3PL services, making eCommerce returns processing even easier for your team. For example, if you choose us for fulfillment as well as returns shipping, we can provide easy return labels on packing slips as well as reusable return packaging to make it simple for your customers to ship their unwanted goods back to IDS Fulfillment.
Enhanced Customer Satisfaction: Partnering with an eCommerce returns management company usually results in shorter overall turnaround times. Customers can get refunds or exchanges more quickly, which results in a better experience and higher rates of customer satisfaction.
IDS Fulfillment has been providing third-party logistics services to a wide variety of companies and industries for more than 50 years, offering rapid fulfillment, reliable service, and a dedication to excellence in customer service. Partnering with us has its perks:
- Expertise and Experience: Our staff averages 12 years with our company, and we pride ourselves on hiring dedicated professionals who love their jobs and work to provide the best possible service.
- Long-Term Stability: With a 50-year track record, you’ll know you’re choosing a stable, reputable, long-term partner for eCommerce returns management.
- Flexible Services: With our wide range of scalable 3PL services, we’re an all-in-one solution for all of your fulfillment needs, and we can grow with your company no matter how large or small it may be.
- Easy-to-Understand Metrics: We’re dedicated to transparency, which is why we provide each client with reports about our key operating metrics to ensure we’re meeting all of your expectations.
As a leader in reverse logistics, you can trust IDS Fulfillment and our returns processing center to provide reliable, affordable, and convenient eCommerce returns management services. We’ve been empowering our clients with 3PL logistics services for decades and our results speak for themselves. Learn more about what we can do for you by reaching out to us through the Contact page of our website, filling out the contact form you can find at the bottom of any page on our website, or calling us directly at 866-232-6533. We’re here to help!